Sunday, December 12, 2010

Dinner Last Night:

Quinoa-Carrot Timbale with Zucchini and Onions

I know it's a bit lame to post a photo and no recipe, but the truth is, I don't have one for this yet. I'm working on my third cookbook, and all I have are notes. You'll just have to wait and buy the book. For now, what I did was: cook the quinoa in carrot juice with a vegetable bouillon cube; saute some finely diced onion and garlic in olive oil with salt and Aleppo pepper, added shredded carrot and zucchini until soft, then add the quinoa and a pinch of saffron, stir until fairly dry, then remove from the heat and stir in some sliced scallions. Then I packed it into a timbale mold and served it surrounded by wilted zucchini and onion and drizzled with fresh scallion oil. It was a little bit sweet and spicy, with great notes of garlic, saffron and fresh scallion. Worked for me (my wife, too)! 


2 comments:

  1. Very beautiful. I have been meaning to try making timbales. There's a good chance your book will be ready by the time I locate six ramekins.

    Thanks for sharing - the photo is lovely.

    Tammi
    @keenonquinoa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tammi--

    I actually used a timbale mold for this, which is wider at the open end, and taller than a ramekin. This makes it easier to unmold the packed quinoa, and the result is structurally more sound (wider base). These molds are harder to find than ramekins, but worth the effort.

    BTW: Did you catch my "Speed Vegan" presentation at the Boston Veg Fest?

    ReplyDelete