Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Of Food and Medicine

My sharp-eyed readers will have noticed that I haven't posted in a good while. Thanks for coming back to check on me!

I've been working on several demanding projects, including a webinar production called "The Occasional Vegan" (I'll put up the link as soon as it's ready to launch).

I did manage to squeeze in my monthly column for One Green Planet, which just went up today.

I took my inspiration for the piece from Paula Deen's recent scrape with reality.

Ever since the cause-and-effect relationship between what I eat and how I feel became clear to me (I know--DUH, right?), I've been on an upward trend that has me not only eating plant-based food exclusively, but making better-informed choices within that realm.

So it's a little jarring when I see someone who has suffered both weight gain and diet-related disease go on national television and act like there is no connection. Not backing away one bit from the excessively unhealthy fare she dishes up, Ms. Deen now recommends "moderation," a term as meaningless and easy to fudge as "a balanced diet." Like so many Americans, her solution to the problem is to take a drug and just keep on going. I much prefer the "Forks Over Knives" approach, but that's just me. Food is so much more fun than medical intervention, let's face it.

You can read my take on all this here: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-health/of-cooks-and-doctors-the-food-and-medicine-connection/  and let me know what you think.

I've also been creating more new dishes lately, and I'll be posting about them in the days ahead. Thanks for following!


No comments:

Post a Comment